Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Small Talk?

Have you ever been out shopping and came across a messenger for Christ? Or even heard Christ's words through others when you least expected it?

I have. Both times the gentlemen looked similar - dark hair, dark eyes, leathery tan skin, and were both inconspicuous to others.

The first time I was at the Harmon's grocery store back in 1999, just before I encountered my mental break. I remember the gentleman who was bagging my groceries. He was an older man, black hair, dark eyes, and had glasses on that were had a crack in one of the lenses. Out of the blue he started telling me a story about how his daughter ran out of gas at Lagoon, a local amusement park. She called him at midnight, and when he got there to help her, her only comment was "cool." I don't recall him saying anything else. I was hearing a lot of things in my head at that time due to my mental illness, but this was different.

On my way home I thought, "Why was this guy telling me this story and why is it ingraining in my head? Why did it feel as if he were talking 'to' me?" And then it hit me, it wasn't him who was relaying a message to me but Christ. I knew in my heart He was responding to my prayers at that time for help to get me out of the situation I was in. What I heard was:

1. I was using drugs and partying for 2 years attempting to have fun to pass time and distract myself from my problems with self medication = amusement park.

2. I became spiritually empty = ran out of gas.

3. So I prayed = called my Father.

4. I wasn't sure about that last part other than it was something that I could relate to. Being that at that time my only relationship with God was for crisis interventions and nothing more. I didn't get the point of the last part where she told her father "cool" and assumed she learned her lesson.

I didn't get it until now.

10 years later I now know the true meaning of my relationship with Christ. While I can call on Him any time when in need, I also know what He has taught me to do to live well and that I need to make a commitment to it. I have learned to seek His Word to keep my spiritual tank full and to praise him at each and every blessing big or small.

The second time was last month of this year. I was at Walmart. I had an impression in my heart for a while to get Charlie a fishing license for Father's Day. As I approached the sporting goods desk I found the clerk with other Walmart workers gathered around him in a circle. He was talking to them about something although I am not sure what. They were all there as if in unison. As soon as he saw me the others left instantly. I have never seen so many associates at once in the sporting section let alone gathered in a circle like that, but intersting that it reminded me of how people would have gathered around Jesus as soon as I saw it.

The gentleman looked similar to the guy at Harmon's 10 years ago. Dark hair and eyes except his hair was "Salt & Peppered" and he did not have glasses.

I had asked him about a fishing license, that if my husband had to be present in order for me to purchase one. I had told him I was getting it as a Father's Day gift. As we were making the transaction the clerk told me how that was a great gift, that his children used to give him one for Father's Day. He said he loved fishing and that he learned to fish from his Father; that none of the other "kids" wanted to learn. He showed me the best fishing pole they had for a good price and then I quickly urged him to finish the transaction before Charlie caught up with us. He finished up and spoke to me saying, "If you have any questions, I am always here. If I am not here you can ask someone here to call me."

I recall all the words he said to me as if I were still there. In my heart I hear:

1. My father taught me = God the Father created Jesus who was a "fisher of men."

2. Kids = "goats" were not interested to learn.

3. To call him anytime or ask someone to call = prayer.

Again, the words that he spoke to me were not every day customer service or casual talk. There was something about the tone in his voice that reminded me of the bagger at Harmon's. And knowing that I was prompted to by the fishing license leads me to believe differently. After all Charlie hadn't expressed wanting to fish, we hadn't been in a long time. I am not even sure the license will be used, but this message I received will last a lifetime.

Sometimes small talk isn't small at all...if you're listening.

No comments: