Sunday, July 12, 2009

Prelude to a Monday Morning

In a perfect world my laundry would be put away...my house would always be vacuumed and free of pet hair...my coffee pot would always be full...and I would have enough time in the day to meet everyone's needs as well as my own.

But it is not a perfect world. If it were, what would there be to appreciate?

Why do I complain about these things but am able to appreciate them when they are done? I work. But even if I didn't, I would still wish for the same things. I guess work just feels like a lot of distraction to me most of the time. So I remind myself that it has so many rewards - the opportunity to help people using the resources our agency offers, the future it will help my husband and I when we retire, the health benefits my family receives, the ability for me to personally grow and influence others around me, and to be able to find friends in coworkers who also know God and to share with them something so wonderful in common. Not to mention the job where I am working was and has been truly a blessing in my personal life, but that is another story. A story where God really intervened in my life. I will have to tell it sometime!

Working full time I often find I compare my life to that of stay at home mothers. I do this while at work assisting the public, reading others' blogs online, seeing my neighbors, spending time with my family, and while getting to know others at church. Well okay, it's not often I compare - it's a lot. I then let the enemy create guilt which then turns to envy and then all together judgement. I start judging them, judging myself, and before I know it I've let all kinds of negativity in. After much self pity I realize what is happening and think, "Isn't it easier to focus on what I do have?" I may not have a lot of time - well okay "as much time" as I'd like to do what I want to do - but I try to make the most of what I can. I just want to do even more! Things like making my home a home, spend more time with my daughter, really clean & organize my house, cook more, garden, offer more to my church's needs, and most of all to give myself more to God. I do all these things, but they are in small amounts divided amongst each other. My poor husband and daughter usually get my time when I am multi-tasking instead of when I am able to focus 100%.

It's not that having the laundry or the vacuuming done would deem my idea of a perfect world. What would be perfect would be to have the time to do it all. So I imagine while time here on earth "seems" long many days and short on others - like today where I want to do so much more but have run out of daylight and energy - I am reminded of what time really is. Eternity. Eternity spent with the Lord is the perfect world! This is my focus and it is a good focus. Being a stay at home mom or a working mom is not...I am a daughter of God and His servant no matter where I am or how much time is spent there.

So I pray today, to the One who is perfect, the one that is all. The great I Am. I pray that I will be able to make the most of my time for the rest of this day and for the rest of tomorrows for my family's sake for my sake but most of all for Your sake.

Thank you Lord for coming into my life today and to those around me that I love. It means so much to me to hear you speak to them. Thank you for reminding me that even if my house is disorganized at the moment, my spirit is not. I praise you for this. Amen.

1 comment:

Yolanda said...

I loved the idea that after all the thoughts of having a perfect world or more improtantly a perfect environment, it isn't perfect UNTIL...God is the center.

Keep seeking Him,
Yolanda
Higher Grounds