Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bible Study

We are learning about the book of Daniel in women's Bible Study. I have only been attending for a short while but have learned so much. I didn't realize until now that the books in the Bible correspond with each other - the cross references have really helped me to understand so much. I also realized why I never understood what I was reading as a kid due to the fact that I was reading the King James version.
 
Daniel is such a good role model. In all the chapters I've completed thus far he has not changed his faith or service for God. He was also very respectable toward the rulers of Babylon and did not boast or press his faith upon others. God showed him favor because of his perseverence. I think this is a good example for us in our lives today. So many people come in and out the office I work at feeling destitute and hopeless but if they would persevere as Daniel did and continue to pray no matter the odds against them, God too will show favor to them.
 
I have a customer who has been quite a challenge. He's an older guy, close to retirement age. All his life he has worked for his family and for himself. He worked at his father's mink farm then went into real estate. In working with him I get the feeling that either he is mentally and/or physically not wanting to continue to work his business with as old as he is getting or the real estate market has really gotten to the point where he has to work hard in order to make a profit. Prior to my assignment on his case, he was to be job searching but no one was intensely working with him to really find a job or improve his odds for finding a job. In fact I don't think he was really pursuing what he was asked to do. So I have been trying to follow the guidelines of the program and how it works by providing time limits of when things need to be done or the assistance will end. I think this scared him and he realized how important job search really is. Having never done this before, he seemed afraid to get out and find a job on his own.
 
Needless to say the job search didn't go well and he didn't put much effort into I admit, but I think he was discouraged to tell you the truth due to his age, lack of experience, and other pressures at home with his wife and grown children. He and his wife receive a type of financial assistance for those that either cannot work due to a disability or are unable to find work. The requirements of this program are that each of them participate in activities that will help them lead to employment and/or obtain disability income. They do not receive much assitance, $350 is all. They are facing bankruptcy very soon. His wife is disabled however he is not. He does have some limitations but is capable of working. If all goes well the Work Site Learning Coordinator is planning to place him on a an unpaid internship at a local city office. When he told me this, his eyes lit up at the thought and I could see hope dwell inside him. I pray that this is something that will be fruitful for him, that the city employment for which he could be placed does not down size and decline the request for him to work for them. It is a non paying job but and is a good start to get him in the workforce, so I pray that the city looks at this as an asset rather than a set back due to the economy.
 
I so many times want to speak with my customers about God and their ability to receive blessings through Him. But to avoid conflict of interest pursuits with my customers and coworkers, instead I must pray for them and for myself in that I would receive God's spirit to help them the way they needed helped in the short time I spend with them. In Daniel chapter 9 he prays for the people of Israel. It is amazing what prayer by others can do for others and it is up to us Christians to pray for and with them no matter the purpose or the reasoning. For if people do not pray for others, and those that are being prayed for do not pray either, where then does God have purpose to bless?
 
It is also amazing to reflect on and think of the blessings and miraculous events that happen after they happen. For me, I have really began to realize the answer to my prayer for a meaningful job and now realize the true importance and responsibility I have been given in my career, not for our community, but for God's sake. Daniel is a good role model for me and all that is to happen and will happen for me and my future serving the people our business does. If I persevere, I will continue to be blessed. I don't worry about what the economy may or may not do for my job. There are rumors they will be cutting back in the public service, but I know that with my faith all will be well. For now I will work on what I am and can do and leave the future of my career in God's hands.

"He delivers and rescues and performs signs and wonders in heaven and on earth"
Daniel 6:27

No comments: