Sunday, August 6, 2017

Love God Part 2

So how do we love God? Do we love Him wholly above everything else or is He just an afterthought? How do you think Jesus loved God? The 2nd commandment explains it well and instructs God's children on this explicitly.

(Ex 20:4-6) "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

The Hebrew word translated “graven image” means literally “an idol.” In the day of Moses there was a progression of idolatry where people put presence of force in a natural object by making an image of the personality they believe God is. They go as far as making a place for it and spending time with it because in that object they believe the force is indwelling in it.

We have idols of many sources today. Our self-esteem is one of them. Self love is one thing, but to put all our esteem and dependence on ourselves and boast about it to others or to ourselves is ego and creates pride. We also learn to love "things" or fleshly desires (Col. 3:5) and treasure them. These too are idolatrous in their own way because we work hard to get them and love them and want more. These idols create fleeting emotions and are filled with void. It is our faith that lasts. The things you cannot see.

While people don't mean to be this way, it is important to accept it is in our human nature. God wants us to put Him first and foremost in our minds. This commandment refers back to the 1st. God wants us to worship only Him. Is this so terrible? I mean if someone created you and all that is around you for you what is so wrong for Him to create YOU for Him and His desire alone? His jealousy for us is not a humanly emotion where it is wrong to desire something that does not belong to you. His jealousy for you and I is Godly as it is his ownership in us.

Many years ago while in prayer I recall noticing all the different colors of thread in the carpet of our church sanctuary and contemplated them while I focused and prepared my heart to converse with Jesus. In that moment the Lord brought to my attention that those little specs in that one square pattern on that carpet are like the number of heads of His people. I didn't even notice the rest of the floor and thought to myself, "How could He possibly want me with all these others?" So I asked Him, "Why do you love me?" His reply was simple, "My Creation." I could not have felt more love and understanding in Him and what His will was for my life than I did at that moment. I often re-play this fond memory of mine and am brought back to that place of love all over again.

Loving God by not creating other idols in our lives truly expresses ourselves to Him and allows communion with Him in a special personal way that only comes with this type of worship that he desires in us. If you truly love Him, there is nothing between your worship for Him. If there is, admit they are idols and ask God to help you abstain from them and come to Him first when tempted so that your love can be purified with Him.

No comments: