Friday, June 4, 2010

Shoo Fly!

My 6 year old daughter has a few CD's she likes to listen to in the car on our long journeys to and from town. (We live 20 miles away from real civilization - so entertainment of sorts are a must.) We will take turns - I listening to K-Love and she listening to her CD. I was pondering the other day after hearing the song "Shoo fly, don't bother me" for probably the 100th time, "What is the message this song is trying to convey?" Sure it has a very catchy tune but do children know what they are singing about? After pondering this it came to me and I have found much more meaning to it than a preschool rhyme she and I happily sing along together. The lyrics are simple and easy to follow:

Shoo, fly, don't bother me,
Shoo, fly, don't bother me,
Shoo, fly, don't bother me,
For I belong to somebody.

CHORUS:

I feel, I feel,
I feel like a morning star,
I feel, I feel,
I feel like a morning star.

I researched this in Wikipedia and it doesn't say much about it other than it originated in 1860. It says there, "The song remained popular over the decades, and was commonly sung by soldiers during the Spanish-American War of 1898, when flies and the yellow fever mosquito were a serious enemy. In the soldier’s version, after singing the famous Shoo fly, don’t bother me three times, the soldier would then sing For I belong to company G."

I thought for sure to find some other meaning to this song, but apparently no one else has thought of it the way I have? In my own life I struggle with spiritual warfare. The enemy is always "buzzing" around telling me I will never be good enough for Christ or that I am always failing. In hearing this song the other day, I am reminded to shoo the enemy off because I belong to somebody and that somebody reminds me that I am a morning star! So even though this song doesn't advertise that it originated as a spiritual message, it will be one to me and I'd like to teach the same to Savannah.

It is interesting when you look for God in everything, you find Him there. He is undeniably everywhere and every step of the way.

Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths."

SHOO FLY!

No comments: